The Campels Castle site

  • © Arnaud Coiffé
  • © Arnaud Coiffé

Description

In the context of the prospecting operation conducted on the territory of the medieval Castle of Izaut, an archaeological survey was conducted in February / March on the website of Campels (Arbon). From this castle, probably built in the fifteenth century by the lords of la Mothe of Izaut and probably dismantled in the sixteenth century during the religious wars under the leadership of the Lords of Bossost, there are still some vestiges of fortifications and tower. Rebuilt several times before the French Revolution, then in the nineteenth century, it has long served as a simple dwelling and farm building. In July 1944 he was burned by the German Division “Das Reich”. The association has allowed the rediscovery of this historic site long remained in a state of abandonment.